PhD in Chinese Medicine
PhD in Chinese Medicine
(i)have a recognized Master's degree in Chinese Medicine, biomedical-related or chemical sciences, or
(ii)have a Bachelor's degree, normally with honours at second upper division or equivalent, and have been registered in a course of study for a Master's degree at this University for at least one year and have demonstrated research ability.
For the general qualifications required for admission and English language requirements for admission to the Graduate School please refer to the following website:
The programme is research oriented. A Student may be required to attend and participate in seminars/workshops of the School, as well as those of relevant topics offered by other departments as deemed appropriate by the supervisors. They also have to present seminars summarizing research work performed. A total of at least 36 units with a written thesis are required for graduation. The 36 units should be taken from the following sections:
Seminars/Special Studies (one unit for each item)
Research for Thesis
Fields of Specialization
Pharmacological, biological, and biochemical properties of Chinese medicines
study of Chinese Medicine
Clinical and experimental study of acupuncture
Basic theory & literature research in Chinese medicine
R&D of Chinese medicinal products for health
Phytochemistry & quality control of Chinese medicines
Tuition Fee (Provisional)
HK$42,100 per annum (Full-time) and HK$42,100 per annum (Part-time) The tuition fee for part-time mode is calculated in self-finance basis.
Online application and application fee submission:
https://www.gs.cuhk.edu.hk/page/ApplicationforAdmission (Only online admission application will be accepted).
Applicants should send all the required support documents to the School of Chinese Medicine:
1. One photocopy of your HKID card or other identity documents as given in the Application Form.
2. Official transcripts (with a complete record of courses attended and examination results) of all tertiary level studies. Photocopies will not be accepted*. Applicants should first download the “Transcript Submission Covering Sheet” and send it to their universities to apply for transcripts. Transcripts should be returned directly to relevant Divisions in officially sealed envelope.*CUHK qualifications (Bachelor’s or higher degrees): Photocopies of transcripts issued by CUHK are accepted.
3. Applicants who obtained degrees from universities in Mainland China are required to provide an Online Verification Report of Higher Education Qualification Certificate (教育部學歷證書電子註冊備案表) issued by the CHESICC (學信網).
4. Copies of certificates of academic/professional qualifications.
5. Copies of other qualifications.
6. One document of any one of the following score reports/certificates, showing that you have fulfilled the English Language Proficiency Requirement for admission to the Graduate School:
a. Photocopy of a degree from a university in Hong Kong or an English speaking country; or
b. Certificate of Results (The Certificate of Results must be sent to the University directly from the test organization) with a pass grade in English in one of the following examinations.
- Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (Grade E or above);
- Hong Kong Higher Level Examination (Grade E or above);
- Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination (Level 4 or above);
- CUHK Matriculation Exam;
- General Certificate of Education Examination (GCE) Advanced Level (A-Level)/ Advanced Subsidiary Examination; or
c. Original of a valid official score report (The official score report must be sent to the University directly from the test organization) of TOEFL, or IELTS (Academic), or GMAT (verbal):
- TOEFL (Paper-based: 550; Computer-based: 213; Internet-based: 79);
- GMAT (verbal) (Band 21);
- IELTS (Academic) (Band 6.5); or
(TOEFL and IELTS are considered valid for two years from the test date. GMAT is considered valid for five years from the test date.)
d. Photocopy of a recognized professional qualification awarded in Hong Kong or an English speaking country.
7. Confidential recommendations from 2 referees (not from the applicant) in sealed envelop or via online system.
Tel: (852) 3943 1346
Address: School of Chinese Medicine, Room G08, Lee Wai Chun Building, Chung Chi College, The Chinese University of Hong Kong